All pieces on this site are syndicated. You can purchase the right to use them by contacting us using the form in the Purchase A Piece page of this site.

Using any piece from this site in part or whole without purchasing the use right is a legal offense.

Society: Dairy of a Bachelor Part 1 -- All Men are Mama’s Boys



Men are all mama’s boys. This is a confession and a fact. Our world is ensconced by mama – no matter how old we get. Another confession: we love it. We want to be made much of. We want to be pampered. We want to be spoilt. We want to be taken care of. “Yes mama.” “Sure mama” – these are our typical conversations and we are fine with it.  

While growing up, we are happy to pay the teeny, tiny price for all the attention that is lavished on us. The teeny tiny price is that we make sure our mama knows and believes that she owns us and controls us. Most of us (I certainly have done this) promise our mother that we will only marry a girl of her choice. Life is good for us.

Now I move to my story (which I am sure is typical of most guys). I got a good job and moved to a bigger city. I was suddenly exposed to cosmopolitan, independent and smart girls in my office. They were so full of life. Wow! Caste, religion and community be damned! This is the type of person I want to be with.

Mama’s warm ensconcing now feels like constriction. “Remember, you had promised to only marry a girl of my choice”. Her admonition is now an avoidable part of our conversations. My, “Yes mama,” is now reluctant and not felt. The only reason it still comes is because I haven’t met “The One”. ‘A girl of mama’s choice’, this haunts me like those dramatic repetitions with a noisy background score in the serials.

Hasn’t this happened with you to?